The OF Blog: Things I'm supposedly going to be working on this month

Monday, October 13, 2014

Things I'm supposedly going to be working on this month

My second bout with kidney stones this weekend set me back quite a bit.  Not only did I miss the final two days of the 2014 Southern Festival of Books due to sometimes intense kidney/abdominal pain, but I didn't get any reviews written this weekend.  So it seems I'm going to have to be write virtually a review a day for the rest of the year in order to achieve my review goals, or at least to cover the books covered on this list

I do know that late tonight/Tuesday morning I will have a review of Howard Jacobson's Booker-shortlisted J up in advance of tomorrow's award announcement.  I also might try to write a review of one of the 2014 Prix Médicis finalists before I go to bed.  Then I would like to tackle this week at least two other Prix Médicis finalists that I've read before covering the 2014 Premio Strega longlisted/shortlisted titles that I've read but haven't yet reviewed.  It takes longer to write shorter-length reviews of works read in my fourth and fifth-best languages (French and Italian), so I might end up spreading those out.

After that, I think I'll try to review 1-2 of the bolded titles (the ones I've already read) on the list linked to above.  Certainly will cover the 2014 National Book Award-longlisted titles listed (by the way, their shortlists should be announced later this week, if memory serves) and then certain high-profile releases, like the Murakami, then will be reviewed at last.  I hope by the end of November to have my to-review list down to fewer than twenty titles, but it'll be a challenge, since I undoubtedly will be adding books to that list in the coming weeks.

Whenever I do catch up, that list should make for a comprehensive review of 2014 literature, with the possible exception of SF/F, of which I have read relatively little this year.  Now to see how quickly these plans fall apart.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites