The OF Blog: What the Birthday Squirrel Bought for Me in 2010

Saturday, July 17, 2010

What the Birthday Squirrel Bought for Me in 2010


Remember boys and girls, if you are really good this year (or at least are very good at reading books and pissing off a few people every now and then), the Birthday Squirrel will help make sure you get lots and lots of books for your birthday.  Here is what I got today when I went to two stores in Nashville:


I have to feature the covers here for the first two pictures.  I know these covers came out in the late 1960s and 1970s, but there's just something wrong about these images...what could it be?


Three 70s-era Moorcock paperbacks.  Any wonder why so many of them have been re-released with totally different covers in recent years?


These are all used, but no really odd/hideous covers to feature here, so no cover art exposés.  Sorry about that.


Two books that I'll read later this year or early next for reviewing the SFF Masterworks, either on the SFF Masterworks blog or here, plus a gilt-edged, leather-bound Thomas Mann book, one that I've been meaning to re-read for 13 years now.  Now I have more motivation to do so.


Finally getting around to reading Ballard's (in)famous Crash, plus I couldn't pass up this new omnibus edition of Bradbury's short fiction.


All in all, not a bad haul that the Birthday Squirrel netted me.  Which ones of these, if any, have you read before?  Which would you most like to read in the near future?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my. And I thought the portuguese cover for that Silverberg book was awfull...

Larry Nolen said...

I guess some authors are destined to have crappy covers for certain books, regardless of language/edition :(

Chad Hull said...

Is the Bradbury an Everyman's Library Edition? I didn't know they publish speculative fiction (other than Borges).

Larry Nolen said...

Yes, it's an Everyman's edition. Just came out earlier this year.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites