The OF Blog: One other bit of personal news

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

One other bit of personal news

Since I mentioned last Thursday that I was placed on recallable layoff, I suppose I ought to add this bit of an update: I arranged an interview today for a history position at a high school 40 miles from my house. It went very well and the principal said she is going to recommend me for that position. Also, I might have an interview later this week for a community college history position (full-time). If that goes well, I'll have a tough decision to make. But better that than no job prospects, no?

9 comments:

ThRiNiDiR said...

It's sad news in the first place if such an intelligent person as you obviously are has problems with finding a job (and I'm not talking about working in mcdonalds or anything :).

hope all goes well...

Larry Nolen said...

Well, the US economy isn't that great and I'm a bit too specialized in my training, unfortunately. But it's about 95% certainty that I have this one position at least, one that would pay me above $40K/year, so there's hope still.

My dream job is to teach English as a second language in a few years.

Tia Nevitt said...

Best of luck with the job hunt! Been there, done that.

Kristen said...

Best of luck with finding a job. I hope it's actually an enjoyable one and not just a means of paying the bills.

Larry Nolen said...

Thanks, both of you! The hardest part for the moment will be choosing which job, since I do have one firm offer and the other may or may not happen. And since I am an experienced teacher with a MA in History...I at least will have a good-paying position compared to the national average (although relatively poor compared to other MAs). Plus I've noticed the old mojo is coming back - I might be a really effective teacher if this continues. Teaching without the mojo is like Austin Powers without his...

But I have much better teeth and a lot less chest hair! :P

Mihai A. said...

The very best of luck, Larry :)

Larry Nolen said...

Thanks :D

RobB said...

Good luck with either prospect (and a 40-mile commute)!

::crossing fingers::

Larry Nolen said...

40 miles here means the worst is John Deere, Rob, but I remember well how long a 10 mile commute took in Palm Beach County, FL, so yeah, it'll be quite the ride regardless.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites