The OF Blog: Well, time to get this blog active again, yes?

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Well, time to get this blog active again, yes?

So it's been a long, strange trip since I last updated this Blog back around New Year's. Since then, I've returned to school full-time as a Social Work major and I just haven't had the time/energy/desire to immerse myself in speculative fiction like I did the year or so before. But now that summer is fast approaching, I should have some free time coming up to making at least occasional posts here.

Considering that this is basically a blog for some of the OF Admins to comment on whatever floats their boats, hopefully there will be more variety in the posts. After browsing through a few other blogs, I thought maybe we could better integrate this Blog of the Fallen with OF as a whole. So I'm going to try to do these things with my future posts here:

1) I'm going to provide more short reviews here, especially of works that might not fit exactly within the parameters of speculative fiction but which might be of interest to the reading public.

2) More comments about discussions, debates, etc. within and without the field that I encounter in my personal life or elsewhere on the Web as a means of provoking thoughtful discussion.

3) Less links to places like this.

In the coming weeks, I plan on kicking things off by reviewing books I recently received from publishers, such as Alison Croggon's The Naming, Kevin Radthorne's The Road to Kotaishi, Julie Czerneda's Migration. Also, expect reviews shortly over Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, Yuri Andrukhovych's Perverzion, and Calderón de la Barca's La vida es sueño.

If there are other things you wish to see from this blog, please leave a suggestion here and I'll see what I can do. The more that reply, the better!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, fewer links, Larry, not less. And thanks for fewer links, I accidently followed that one, yikes!

Short reviews of books sounds good to me. Long reviews are not a bad idea either. Any reviews y'all do are much appreciated.

-bme

Jacob said...

Couldn't agree with you more, Larry, especially with the board interest we seem to have. I'm still working an article based on the novel I'm reading right now. I should have it up by the end of the week.

BME... never follow a Larry link unless you're certain of where it leads. To do otherwise is to risk your very sould.

Anonymous said...

although the wide range of genres and authors is intriguing, don't loose focus on the types of authors that earned your respect in the first place

Larry Nolen said...

Well, time to reply quickly here:

1) Yeah, I meant fewer, not less - very tired that night. Sigh...

2. I wanna see that article ASAP, Jake. Ya hear? ;)

3. I never really was a genre fan until a few years ago and even then I still read as much non-genre "mainstream" literary writings as anything else. That's my first love, not speculative fiction as perceived by most fans.

M said...

Sounds good :). Especially the part about fewer links, I like it when my eyes stay in my head...

-M. Alys

 
Add to Technorati Favorites